Napa Cabbage Steaks
Napa Cabbage Steaks are roasted until gorgeously caramelized on the outside and tender in the middle after being coated with spiced soy sauce and maple syrup.
Oven roasted napa cabbage steaks.
Napa Cabbage Steaks are brushed with a combination of maple syrup, herbs, seasonings, and soy sauce before being baked until the outside is crisp and brown, and the interior is oh-so-tender.
This is NOT the typical, flavorless cabbage that many of us ate growing up. Because it is so delicious, we occasionally use it as a light main. This will make you adore Napa even more if you don’t already!
Saving the crispy, dark-brown ends for yourself is advised because they are the best portion!
What is napa cabbage?
It is known as Chinese cabbage and is oblong in form as opposed to the round, common green variety that many of us are accustomed to. It has a thick white stalk that ascends to its green, slightly frilly, and incredibly crisp leaves. It resembles romaine cabbage somewhat.
In terms of flavor, we discover Napa to be softer and sweeter than the normal variety. Very tasty when roasted, stir-fried, or added fresh to salads!
Try this as a side dish with our Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin
- 1 medium napa cabbage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oil, soy sauce, maple syrup, the rest of the spices, and seasonings. Set aside.
- Remove the outer leaves from the Napa cabbage and discard. Cut the head off the cabbage and slice the cabbage into about 4-6 steaks about 1 1/2 inch thick.
- Place the cabbage steaks onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Using a pastry brush, apply the soy sauce mixture evenly on top.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until the leaves are caramelized and the center is tender.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges and fresh parsley.