Homemade Blueberry Pie Filling
Blueberry Pie Filling made with juicy blueberries, is such a fast and easy recipe that is so much better than the store-bought version. You will not need many ingredients for this homemade pie filling, and it takes less than 30 minutes to make. This mouthwatering pie filling is so simple and delicious that you will want to make it all the time. And your family and friends will love it if you do since they can help you eat it.
This seems like the perfect summer dessert especially when it is blueberry season and you can get your hands on fresh berries. However, you don’t have to wait until summertime to make it. You can use frozen blueberries if they are not in season in your area.
Main ingredients needed:
To get the exact measurements and directions, scroll down to our handy recipe card. But here are the basic ingredients you will be needing:
- Sweet Blueberries: Preferably fresh but you can use frozen if you have to. Also, wild blueberries are delicious in this filling.
- White sugar and Brown sugar: Both white and brown sugars are used in this recipe. The amount of sugar can be controlled based on your preference.
- Cornstarch: This is important for thickening.
- Salt: Just a pinch.
- Butter: Unsalted butter is best.
- Lemon juice: Fresh or store-bought.
- Lemon zest: Store-bought or make your own. A little lemon zest adds a nice and refreshing citrus flavor.
- Vanilla: Pure vanilla extract is the best.
How to make blueberry pie filling from scratch?
- Combine: First, combine sugar with the cornstarch, salt, and a ½ cup of water in a large pot to cook over medium heat until it is smooth.
- Add: Then, reduce heat and add the lemon zest and the 6 cups of blueberries.
- Boil: Meanwhile, let it boil for two minutes or until it is thick and bubbly. This takes about two minutes.
- Remove: Finally, take the pot off the stove and add the vanilla, lemon juice, and butter. Stir it until the butter is melted and then let it cool.
- Canning: Alternatively, if you decide on canning your own homemade blueberry pie filling, then add the hot filling to the prepared canning jars.
- Store: Store the blueberry filling in an airtight container or jelly jar. It will stay good in the fridge for a week, or it will keep for several months frozen. Just thaw overnight in the fridge before use.
How to serve:
Serve this tasty treat in a pie or on top of anything, it has lots of uses, use it on pancakes, cake, cookies, or in turnovers. Here are some other serving ideas:
- Add it to ice cream for blueberry ice cream. Or use it as a topping for vanilla ice cream.
- Likewise, mix it with these grilled peaches and add some lemon rind on top for a nice summer dessert.
Try this on our Banana Pancakes
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 6 cups fresh blueberries (divided)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat and add: sugars, cornstarch, salt, and water, stir until smooth.
- Next, add the blueberries and lemon zest. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook stirring for 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in butter, lemon juice, and vanilla, stir until the butter is melted.
- Cool and serve or store.