Southern Bacon Fried Cabbage
Easy Bacon Fried Cabbage
With just a few ingredients, bacon fried cabbage is delicious and incredibly simple to create. It tastes good and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare.
The best bacon fried cabbage
One of our all-time favorite recipes to prepare is bacon-fried cabbage. With just a few basic ingredients, it is simple to prepare and produces a flavorful and delicious side dish. Four simple ingredients—cabbage, onion, garlic, and bacon—along with a few seasonings—are all that are required. Bacon and garlic must be the recipe’s secret ingredients because they make it so unbelievably tasty! It is so excellent that once you try it, you’ll be making it repeatedly!
You should try this recipe if you’ve never fried or sautéed cabbage before. Besides affordable, it may be made with a variety of toppings. You could, for instance, use sausage in place of the bacon, or for a vegetarian option you could just use potatoes. In addition, we prefer to use only salt, pepper, and a tiny touch of paprika to give it a smokey flavor. Every time we prepare this dish, which is one of our favorites, we can’t stop eating it.
What is fried cabbage?
It is a typical Irish side dish that is prepared by pan-frying cabbage with basic seasonings including onion, garlic, and pepper. The majority of the time, corned beef is served with this side dish. Additionally, it recently gained a lot of popularity in the United States, where it was given several changes.
The traditional Irish version is often substituted with Southern bacon-fried cabbage.
Try this with our OVEN BAKED CHICKEN TENDERS
- 1 pound sliced bacon (chopped into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 onion (finely sliced)
- 1 medium head cabbage (cored and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika.
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- Place a large cast iron skillet or non-stick deep pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon pieces in one layer and cook until crispy. If needed, cook in batches. Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Discard the grease, leaving about 2-3 tablespoons.
- Add the sliced onion and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until soft.
- Add the chopped cabbage, salt, pepper, oregano, and smoked paprika. Toss and cook until tender, but still a little crispy, for about 15 minutes. Toss and taste, if needed reduce heat to medium-low, cover the pan and cook cabbage for 10 more minutes, until their preferred tenderness is achieved.
- Add the garlic and bacon, cook cabbage for additional 3-4 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnish with chopped green onions if desired.