Homemade Chicken Fajitas Recipe
Chicken Fajitas Recipe
The flavors of chicken fajitas are a fiesta of tender meat, zesty and robust seasonings, various vegetables, and mouthwatering toppings. Easy to prepare restaurant-quality food at home!
Nothing brings me more joy than recreating my beloved restaurant dishes! It is much less expensive than dining out and is delicious and frequently healthier.
Easy chicken fajitas
These flavorful chicken fajitas have a unique flavor that only a cook can create. With this traditional meal, a lot is happening. The meat is marinated, then there are a ton of spices, vegetables, and garnishes, plus the flavor of the grill.
I used to spend a fortune eating in Mexican restaurants before I attempted making this at home. And now? Anytime I want, I can prepare it in my kitchen! The spice mixture is the key to delicious fajitas. Any meat can be elevated to Tex-Mex perfection with that mysterious spice mixture. You can make your own blend using the directions in this recipe, ensuring that you always have some on hand. Because I assure you, this will quickly become one of your best weeknight meals!
What are chicken fajitas?
Traditionally, beef is used in this Tex-Mex meal, especially the skirt. It is very finely sliced before being marinated and spiced. The tortillas are topped with cheese and condiments after the stripes and vegetables are grilled.
Although I adore the beef version, I substitute poultry for a lighter protein in this recipe. Additionally, breasts are simpler to find than a skirt cut, making it more practical.
What is the difference between fajitas and tacos?
Aside from the seasonings and cuts of meat used, tacos are usually served already assembled in hard-shell or soft tortillas. The meat is chopped into small pieces, as are the veggies, which are typically served raw on top of the meat. Think diced onions, raw diced tomatoes, lettuce, and other fresh garnishes.
For fajitas, the tortillas are usually served on the side, and you assemble them yourself. Both the protein and the vegetables are cooked in long strips, sometimes served on a sizzling platter.
Try our Chipotle Sauce on this recipe.
Try out our Chicken Fajita Pasta for more Mexican Flavors
Fajita Seasoning Mix:
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 3 large bell peppers (sliced)
- 1 medium red onion (sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 12 small flour tortillas (for serving)
- Sour cream
- Black beans
- In a small bowl, stir together Fajita Seasoning ingredients.
- Pat dry the chicken with paper towels
- Use half of the seasoning to rub onto both sides of the chicken breasts. Reserve the other half.
- Place a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and once hot, add the chicken and cook it for 5 to 7 minutes per side. The chicken should be fully cooked through with an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken breasts, place them on a cutting board, and cover with foil, let it to rest.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the same skillet, once hot, add the sliced onion and bell peppers. Saute until tender-crisp, 5 minutes, and add the remaining half of the seasoning mix and the minced garlic. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Slice the chicken breasts into long strips and add it to the skillet, drizzle with lime juice and toss everything.
- Serve with warm tortillas. Topped with sour cream, cilantro, guacamole, or salsa.