General Tso Sauce Recipe
How to Make General Tso Sauce
Rich, sweet, sour, and spicy general Tso sauce is ideal for stir-fry meals! The entire preparation process just takes 10 minutes! Learn how to create the BEST general Tso sauce.
General Tso sauce recipe
When you don’t have much time, you may make fast stir-fry items, perhaps for a midweek supper or something similar, using General Tso Sauce. This recipe just takes 10 minutes to prepare, but it does not disappoint!
This straightforward dip is bursting with flavors: sweet from the sugar, salty from the soy sauce, tangy from the rice vinegar, and hot from the red chili flakes.
The spicy ginger and garlic also give depth. The hoisin sauce simultaneously imparts sweetness and saltiness.
So there’s no need to seek elsewhere if you want Chinese delivery. Simply get the items from your cupboard and prepare one simple stir-fry dinner! Any type of meat, including tofu, veggies, and this recipe are all you need!
What is Chinese general Tso sauce?
It is used in the famous Chinese takeout dish called the General Tso Chicken. It is named after a Chinese leader from the Qing dynasty, Zuo Zongyang, whose Romanized name is Tso Tsungtang.
History has it that a certain Chef Peng invented the dish and served it in his restaurant in Taiwan. And from this original recipe, the Chinese immigrants in the US developed the present-day recipe in the 1970s.
The version that we know now is tweaked to please the American palate – a little bit sweeter than the original version which is hotter and of Hunanese influence.
For More Asian Dishes Try Our Szechuan Chicken Recipe
- 3 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (low sodium)
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a medium pot, add all the ingredients and whisk to combine. Place it over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until it starts to simmer.
- Continue to cook for 5 minutes, until the mixture begins to thicken. Once the sauce is thickened, remove from heat.