Chicken Cheesesteak Skillet
Quick and Easy Chicken Cheesesteak Skillet
A delicious one-pan meal, Chicken Cheesesteak Skillet is made with tender chicken breasts, bell peppers, onions, and loads of melted provolone cheese. Your entire family will adore this dish if you serve it on a hoagie roll for lunch or supper if you like Philly cheesesteak sandwiches.
In this recipe, chicken is used in place of beef to create a cheesesteak sandwich. It was created in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, which is why it is known as a Philly cheesesteak. It was created in 1930 by Harry and Pat Olivieri as a novel product for their South Philly hot dog stand.
You only need a few items for this low-carb chicken cheesesteak skillet, including chicken breasts, onions, bell peppers, shredded cheese, and a few seasonings. Everyone enjoys the ooey, gooey, deliciousness that the melted cheese on top of everything adds.
How to serve:
You can have this yummy chicken cheesesteak as a meal by itself or with side dishes. Either way, it is a healthy, filling, and tasty dish. Try one of these ideas or share your own in the comments section below.
- Serve your delicious cheesesteak on a bed of any kind of rice or pasta.
- For something different, add a heaping scoop to a sandwich for a fast hot lunch.
- Use leftovers to make your favorite casserole.
- Add another cup of your favorite shredded cheese along with one package of cream cheese and melt. Now you have a yummy dip for chips or crackers. Perfect for game day!
- Another way to serve is to add a salad.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add one tablespoon of oil.
- When the oil is hot add the sliced bell peppers, onion, and season with salt and pepper. Sauté the vegetables stirring from time to time until they are tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Next, add the minced garlic and saute for another minute. Transfer the veggies to a plate.
- Add the remaining one tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Once the oil is hot add the sliced chicken, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, onion powder, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Distribute the chicken in a single layer and let it cook without moving it for a couple of minutes so it browns.
- Sauté the meat until, add the soy sauce, and cook until the meat is fully cooked.
- Then add back to the skillet the onion and peppers and any juices left on the plate. Stir everything together and top it with the shredded provolone cheese.
- Cover the skillet with a lid, for 1-2 minutes, until the cheese has melted, and then serve.
- Garnish with chopped green onions.